Perhaps you’re dreading your Monday morning, going to a job you hate. Long gone are the days fifty years ago where people stayed at the same job at the same company for thirty years! If you are unhappy in your current career, thinking of a life in another career field, do it. It’s never too late and you are never too old to change job fields. People change career fields all the time at all ages. Here are a few things to consider to those considering a second career:
- Research it– The first thing you may want to do is to do some research in the possible career field. Sometimes the grass isn’t greener on the other side so you might want to talk to people in your career field of interest.
- Finances– Make sure you have an idea of how much money you’ll need for education or training in the new field, as well as have a realistic idea of what the salary is for this new career field. That’s okay if you are taking a pay cut, you just might want to cut back on your lifestyle expenses a bit.
- Know the job market– Make sure you have a clear, realistic expectation of what the job competition is in your new career field. Some places in the country may have more job opportunities in your career field than others do, so that’s something to keep in mind!
- Have a plan– If this is something you really want to do, have a plan in place. Make sure you have a laid out plan on when you would like to start this new career, do you need to enroll in school? Or is the training on the job? These are just a few things you should know when making your plans.
- Be confident!– It is never, ever too late to start a new career field! Have confidence in yourself, and surround yourself with people that support this new career move!
Best of luck to you!