People often say that 30 is the new 20, but let’s not neglect a whole decade of life. Our twenties are some of the most important years of our lives; it’s a time for growth and development, a time for maturity and a time for setting the tone for the rest of our adulthood. So no, 30 is not the new 20, and here is a list of reasons why:
- Career-People are the most motivated to try different careers, and get the schooling they need while they are in their 20s. Once people get older it’s still possible but life often gets more complicated and making that job move or going back to college for that dream degree gets a little more challenging.
- Marriage-You will never have as many potential options for spouses like you will when you are in your 20s compared to later down the road. You are also more flexible when you’re younger, so it’s easier to get up and move, or make adjustments to blend your lives together as a couple. Granted, I know not everyone may be mature enough or ready to get married in their 20s, or may have not even found the right person…it’s just something to keep in mind.
- Fertility-Stop getting your women’s health education from celebrities. They’re all doing in vitro and using egg donors. I know it can be misleading, reading about the celebrity who just got pregnant with her first child in her 40s, but it’s not as easy as it looks. You have about a 25% chance of getting pregnant every month in your 20s, 20% in your 30s, and 5% in your 40s.
- Retirement-Saving for retirement is half the actual money and the other half is the time you started investing. When you put money into retirement it accrues interest overtime, the longer the money has been in there, the more you will have. The sooner you start saving the better!
- Preventative Health-The health decisions you make when you’re younger will affect you for the rest of your life. How many people have you talked to who’ve said “I wish I would have taken care of my skin when I was younger”, or “I wish I wouldn’t have smoked when I was younger”, and now they are paying the price for those decisions they made years ago. Take care of your body, the 50 year old you will thank you down the road.
Perhaps you are reading this thinking there’s no way I’m going to be married or have kids by the time on thirty, that’s okay! Bottom line is your twenties are valuable. Whatever you chose to do, don’t waste them.